Monday, January 30, 2012

One Year Ago



Want to know what I did one year ago?
I climbed Mount Sinai. 
I'm SO glad that I kept a blog during my trip.

I remember waking up early (2 a.m.) that morning and putting on every layer of clothing I could fit in my suitcase. I remember taking the slow route. I remember not being able to see anything in front of me without my flashlight. I remember stopping for moments of silence just to look up at the stars. I remember nearly falling off a cliff and thinking "How in the heck did Moses make up up here with TWO stone tablets?!". I can remember thinking about how it must have felt to come up alone just to talk with God. I remember talking with God. I remember reaching the top just as the sun was starting to peak over the endless mountains. I can still hear our shivering voices singing to welcome the day. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life and I still can't believe that it is real.

I don't mean to sound braggish with these posts (yes, I know braggish is not a word... I just made it up).
But I just feel so blessed to have been able to experienced the things I did on my study abroad.
I don't think I'll ever be able to see the stars the same way again.
I don't think I'll ever sing a hymn without picturing the places I am singing about.
I don't think I'll ever be sitting in church without imagining the view from the Jerusalem Center.
I don't think I'll ever stop dreaming of just walking down the streets of the Old City in the rain.
I don't think I'll ever stop missing Jerusalem... and that's why I talk about it so often. It has altered my life so completely that I can't imagine where I would be without it.

2 comments:

Sarah Jane Marchant said...

you don't know me, but I found your blog through Maddie McCann. I'm in Jerusalem right now....and I love it. SO much! I enjoy reading your Jerusalem posts blog living the moments you talk about

Kaitlin O'Connor said...

Hey Sarah, that is so cool! I'm glad you are loving it, its almost impossible not to! Enjoy it while you are there! It goes by way too fast. Go have some schwarma for me yeah?