Tuesday, August 7, 2012

purpose

A couple of months ago, I had a lovely chat with Granny.
We were chatting about my time at BYU and she asked what I was going to do...
Thinking that she was asking about my major, I told her I was studying Humanities and Art History.
Not satisfied with my response, she tenderly patted my hand and said,
"Yes dear, but what is your purpose?"
The phrase seemed so much more to me than the usual response of "what do you do with that?"
All of a sudden I had a purpose in my education, not limited to a career path or an end goal.

Since then I've been pondering what that phrase really meant.
Purpose. 
The reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.

Asking myself this question lead to an onslaught of other questions. 
What is my purpose in gaining an education? 
What is my purpose in my relationships with others? 
What is my purpose in reading this book, or starting this project? 
What is my purpose in being here, on this earth? 
What do I want to achieve and why do I want to achieve it.

It's silly, really, that I hadn't thought about it this way before. 
I was getting an education because it was something I enjoyed. I love my classes, I enjoy learning, and I want to progress in this subject. But, what is my purpose in that? Knowledge for knowledges sake? What was I going to do with all that I have learned? 

Not only that... but what is my purpose in all that I do? Life without a purpose seems so, empty. 
What is heart breaking to me, is that there are people who truly believe that we are here without purpose, without a creator, and without potential for something greater than this world can offer. 
I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ, not only because it gives me purpose, but it gives me that potential. As we seek purpose in our lives, everyday, and in everything, I know we are reaching for something more than human experience alone can provide, we are reaching for the divine potential that we were born with. Whether it is in our education, in our relationships, in our jobs, or in simpler things, recognizing our purpose will give us a marvelous strength.  



1 comment:

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

beautiful &something I needed to hear :) thank you.